- Metal- organic frameworks (MOF): Metal-organic frameworks are porous inorganic organic hybrid materials with exceptionally high surface areas and hydrogen uptake capacities for energy applications
- Magnetic nanomaterials (ferrofluids): Ferrofluids are colloidal suspensions of magnetic nanoparticles of ferromagnetic materials with response stimulus to an applied magnetic field for applications in electronic devices.
- Photocatalysis: Photocatalytic degradation of pollutants in water using semiconductors, conducting polymer composites MOFas photocatalyst is being studied for disinfection, air purification, and industrial activities.
- High energy materials: These are a special class of organic/inorganic/polymeric compounds which have low stability and are sensitive to pressure and temperature liberating high energy on decomposition. explosives and propellants fall under this category find extensive applications in defense and space research.
- Flexible opto-electronic materials: These materials are made by simple chemical modification of a functionally active molecule with long chain carbon based side chains. Synthesis of such materials with tunable opto-electronic properties can aid the development of flexible solar cells, light emitting diodes and transistors.
- High temperature oxidation resistant materials: Silicon Carbide-Zirconium Carbide nanoceramic composite produced by the high temperature pyrolysis of preceramic polymers offers a convenient method for coatings on substrates subjected to high temperature oxidative environments which finds aerospace applications.
- Functionalized polymer materials: Functional group present in polymer chain can be modified to improve the physical and chemical properties of the resulting polymer and composite materials, which can find diverse industrial applications.
- Theoretical and computational studies: Theoretical and computational studies on materials synthesis and property evaluation are beeing carried out.